Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"Excuse me, is that a banana in your cart..."

A few months ago, I had been in the habit of grocery shopping every Wednesday after work. It was a good night to go, since no one goes grocery shopping in the middle of the week, and it's always nice to shop in peace. At some point about 2 months ago, though, I'd stopped going on Wednesdays, for no reason at all.

Tonight, however, I started going again on Wednesday nights, and remembered one other reason that I liked going on Wednesdays: a boy. There is a guy that I saw nearly every week when I would go, and he's kind of handsome and manlyish. I've probably seen him there about 7 times, and I have never said anything to him and this got me wondering about grocery stores and dating.

In the movies, it seems like meeting people and chatting them up at the grocery store is a common occurrence, yet I have never ever heard of anyone actually meeting someone and making a date while shopping. Does it really happen? Is it common? And if the answer to these questions is "yes", then how the hell do you even approach the subject without looking completely bonkers? Do you do the "oh, I'm so sorry to have bumped into your cart! Clumsy me! By the way, I'm Karen. What up?"? Do you try and find a common item to chat them up with, such as a favorite cereal or dairy product? Or do you just act all cool and normal and just make regular small talk while standing in the check out line? Actually, it doesn't really matter. In reality, I am pretty much incapable of chatting someone up in a normal, social situation, so I doubt I'd be able to pull off anything even resembling flirting while at the grocery store. I can be very good at just regular chatting in the grocery store, with females and elderly, but if it's a boy aged within 10 years of me, I will turn into a ridiculous, rambling pile of crazy and not be able to say anything more coherent than "yeah, bananas are good for potassium. Lots of breakfast." Le sigh. One day I just need to get someone to chat ME up, and save me the trouble. Seriously.

Ok. Now that my weird grocery store fiasco is done, I'll give you a recap of my past few weeks: spent waaaay too much time on the internet, watched too many movies too many times (movies I've seen include Sunshine, 28 Weeks Later, Becoming Jane, Juno, Lars and the Real Girl, 27 Dresses, P.S. I Love You, and I went to the movie theater to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall), watched too much TV (so glad my shows are back), saw Jonathan Coulton in Madison last week (/swooooooon), and seriously, way.too.much.internet (I Tweet, therefore I am). A-yup. That sums it up quite nicely. Some people may say that this makes me lame, and to them I say "whatevs".

Now, to go and catch up on my shows from this week, make some awesomely num-licious cupcakes and then do the sleep thing. Tomorrow is a new day, and I'm totally going to see Iron Man tomorrow night, so a big fat "woop woop" to that!

Sorry for the extra crazy in this update, but you deserve it. I've been an absentee blogger for too long, so the extra dose of crazy is special, just for you!

*snuggles her internetz* Love ya!

^_^



Music pick for the Day: "Circle" by Eddie Izzard (while, not technically "music", it's on my iPod and all I listened to today, so neener, it's staying)
Beverage pick for the Day: Coffeeeeeeeeee
Socks for the Day: white 70's retro knee highs, with pink and black stripes

blog comments powered by Disqus