Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hangin' Tough

This week, I’ve found out some rather unsettling, but kind of awesome news. It turns out that New Kids on the Block are getting back together. Now, I will fully admit to loving the crap out of the New Kids back in the day. My sister Suzie and I had matching NKOTB shirts and watches AND I had two of their books (Teen Beat-esque books, but books, nonetheless). And, I was so in love with Joey McInyre that I had a HUGE poster of him (next to Jonathan Brandis… man, we had good heartthrobs in my youth) and I still remember his birthday: December 31st. *swoon* He was so adorable in his bowl hat. *sigh* But, that was 15 years ago. And they are no longer the “it” boys…they are middle aged men… but Joey is still pretty pretty. So, I’m going to be optimistic and not write them off entirely. I will most likely buy one of their new singles before I make any real judgment.

Oh, god. Now I have the song Popsicle in my head….

You're my pop-si-cle!
From the very first time I met you, girl, you cap-tured me
You're my pop-si-cle!
All I know is that you make me feel so fancy-free!

....yes. I still remember the lyrics to every song I loved of theirs... Judge all you want. I CAN TAKE IT!

And, not only are NKOTB soon to be gracing the airwaves again, but I got my weekly e-mail from Apple this week about Tuesday’s new releases and guess who is being spotlighted (Am I the only one who thinks it should be spotlit? Curse you English language and your irregular verbs!) this week? George Michael (not Michael Cera, sadly)and Wham! have released new Greatest Hits albums. And you know what’s going to happen now? After NKOTB show the world that they can still make girls swoon, Wham! is going to be all “well, anything they can do, we can do better”. And I am going to go ahead and say that by this time next year, there will be a new Wham! album, or at the very least, a Wham! reunion tour (if there isn’t already).

So, what is going to be next on our regression back to 1987? High tops and off-the-shoulder sweaters? Actually…now that I think about it, leggings and leg warmers have already made a comeback. Next thing you know, Cyndi Lauper will be touring again, and Tiffany will be booking shows at malls across the country.

I guess it was a good time for me to get bangs. I missed out on 80’s hair the first time around, so here’s my chance! I’m sure there is a how-to guide online somewhere about how to create the perfect 80’s bangs…must put my google-fu to good use and find it before the fad happens again! (rehappens? I think I’m going to claim
“rehappen” as a word)

Music pick for the Day:The Direction of Yes" by The Selmanaires
Beverage pick for the Day: water (take that, soda!)
Socks for the Day: knee high black with multi-color stripes


blog comments powered by Disqus